Some early greenery


On the left, some absolutely wonderful onions, who sprouted within days. On the right, potatoes that were planted at varying depths by an overzealous toddler, so only three shallow ones have made a substantial appearance. The raspberry has been truly enjoying our unpredictable (mostly awful) May weather.

This is also likely the first blogged-about picture of the raised bed that my mom and I built in the summer of '09. It was a fun, gruelling, awesome project. Beyond the bed are my half-hidden buckets of supplies; the large one is compost (manure), so locked-up because the ants go nuts for it. The other buckets are wood mulch, and there might be some drainage stones hanging around, too.

Today I was able to weed along the front of the house, where we have a huge project planned. The rotten railroad ties are coming out, and beautiful stacking stones will be arriving next Monday. My only issue is the removal of the perennials I've been cultivating in the area since moving in. There are two peonies that have always lived there, plus a barberry, day lilies, and lamium, and I am really hoping I can save them all. Also to be saved are my daffodils, tulips and irises that don't worry me as much, since they were a bunched-up disaster anyway, and not performing very well at all.

No comments: