Autumn observations

My favourite tree is this spectacular mountain ash. It is thriving in the back yard, so full and tall. I like to sit in the grass beneath it, lookup up to the undersides of the berries. The berries are the most aesthetically pleasing part of this overall beautiful tree. I've learned that they can be used for jellies or wine, but don't have the ambition this year.

The first carrot I harvested had the same diameter at the crown as my fist. I'm so proud of my babies! I attempted to pull a parsnip at the same time, but it was rooted so strongly I merely snapped off the greens. *Must not forget to head back out there to dig it out.

The final observation of this lovely autumn week was a slight tragedy: the majority of the piddly yet productive corn stalks had been broken off at the ground, husks pulled back, and a few kernels nibbled from each comically petite cob. Considering each plant was less than a foot tall, any number of common pests could be the culprit. Based on the casual nibbling, I suspect something that isn't usually a big fan of corn.

In addition to observing, I put in some sweat equity, too: rearranging the iris corms for a more evenly distributed garden next year; this included some splitting, so I am left with extras and not even a vague notion of where they want to be planted. After that, I finally got around to beautifying my frontage, which consists of large bushes flanked by spruce trees, beneath which the weeds have been flourishing like nobody's business. After tearing out the largest, I put down weed barrier, and covered the lot with decorative stones supplanted from their temporary home where a patio more properly belongs, and hopefully soon will be.

No comments: