Sowing seeds in the sun

On Sunday there was a brief break in the constant rain, so I managed to till and amend the patch of dirt I'm turning into a vegetable garden. I added some sand and compost from my own pile, which looks a lot more promising than the nasty municipal stuff. While working away with the pitchfork, my neighbour offered to let me use his tiller, but I was too busy enjoying the manual labour to take him up on it.

After measuring out a series of rows six inches apart, I planted 36 supersweet corn kernels, three in every other row, two per hole, hopefully resulting in 18 plants. In between the corn and all through the alternating rows, beans went all around. After installing the beans, I realized I mistakenly bought bush beans rather than a vining type, so my "three sisters" idea won't work exactly according to the plan. This revelation has led me to hold of on adding the pumpkins to the mix.

Hopefully the ridiculous amounts of rain we've been having lately will result in successful germination and a happy start for the seedlings. If nothing else, it's been a great opportunity to get indoor projects and chores done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.