The grow op.

This is the quasai-greenhouse setup in my gazebo. Wonderfully huge southern exposure windows and a pair of skylights promote photosynthesis during the day, and baseboard heaters keep my seedlings toasty when it gets cold at night. On a sunny day, even at this fickle time of year, the afternoon temperature gets above 25ยบ. The thermostat is set to 15, and so far the plants don't seem to be complaining about the cold. The room is very tightly sealed, thanks to a fall project of stretching plastic over all the windows, and retains humidity even throughout the winter months. This may have something to do with its previous incarnation as a hot tub room. Tub status: still exists, but an empty, broken shell that I never got to use. Waiting to be removed in time for the next "large item garbage pickup" to make room for more useful applications.

Because of the flash, it's hard to tell how dimly lit the room really is. The rope light doesn't help, either, so if I have any inspecting to do, it must be done during daylight hours. A lamp would help, but when daylight lasts until 8:30 and sunset continues to be delayed each day, there isn't much need.

Below the tables sits my ridiculous watering method: pail of snow (waiting to melt) and plastic beer cup. It worked, until the snow all went away. Time to add "extra watering can" to the shopping list.

Now that I've finished potting, it's becoming apparent that I will need bigger tables next year, as the hand-me-down side tables are crammed very full, and the sides are curved at such an angle that I remain confident that the large pumpkin pots won't fall off... even though they probably will. I am, in fact, imagining something of an Audrey 2 scenario, where a tendril or root grows long enough, swings around, tipping the thing onto the ground, where it lurks in the shadows until I enter, then goes in for the kill. Perhaps there is something ominous abouot pumpkins. They do have evil smiles...



Evil, bloodthirsty smiles!

No comments: